Title: The Priory Of The Orange Tree
Author: Samantha Shannon
Genre(s): Fantasy, Adult
Page Count: 827
A world divided.
A queendom without an heir.
An ancient enemy awakens.
The House of Berethnet has ruled Inys for a thousand years. Still unwed, Queen Sabran the Ninth must conceive a daughter to protect her realm from destruction—but assassins are getting closer to her door.
Ead Duryan is an outsider at court. Though she has risen to the position of lady-in-waiting, she is loyal to a hidden society of mages. Ead keeps a watchful eye on Sabran, secretly protecting her with forbidden magic.
Across the dark sea, Tané has trained all her life to be a dragonrider, but is forced to make a choice that could see her life unravel.
Meanwhile, the divided East and West refuse to parley, and forces of chaos are rising from their sleep.
- I’m just going to go ahead an gush about the dragons. I love the dragons. The Nameless One, Fyredel, and Nayimathun. Granted, two of them were bad dragons. I still really enjoyed their parts in this book.
- The LGBTQ+ representation! There is male + male AND female +female. I was living for it. I was dying with anticipation for the f+f relationship to get started. I was shipping them from the freaking beginning!
- I listened to this book through audiobook. It was basically my “doing chores” or “I’m driving” book. Which is why it took me forever and day to finish it. There were some points where I had to pause the book and laugh. Liyah Summers did different voices for each character. The voice she did for Kalyba had me dying. I know it was because of Kalyba’s character and the way she is, but OMG. I felt like I was going to pass out from laughing.
- Ead has to be my favorite character. Her love for her *love interest* (this is me trying not to give spoilers, yay me) is just so beautiful. She protects her love interest with everything she has in her. I just love Ead. I love her story and I love how she was written. She’s also a bad ass.
- Tane` is my second favorite. I mean, anyone who loves dragons as much as Tane` should be anyone’s favorite. She’s another bad ass character in this book. Her friendship with Nayimathun is just beautiful. The love she has for the dragon is just UGH. Like, I would go through hell if I had a dragon too.
- As much as I enjoyed this book, I wish it was a tad bit shorter. It took me about a month to read this entire book. It took me about 150 pages in to actually start understanding this world, so I understand why it was so long. I’m just being a whiny bitch.
- That fight scene at the end. I mean, come on. I went through hundreds of pages for this fight scene to be limited to like two fucking chapters. Seriously? How can this oh big and bad dragon be destroyed in two chapters. I’m not happy about this. I thought I was going to get the biggest war scene ever in this book. That’s the main reason this book didn’t get five stars.